The 1.4.0 release of PostGIS is now available. This is a significant release including many performance enhancements, bug fixes, improved internal testing system, more detailed documentation.
- API Stability - new policies surrounding minor releases
- Support for PostgreSQL 8.4
- New methods - ST_GeoHash, ST_LineCrossingDirection, ST_AsGeoJSON, ST_MinimumBoundingCircle to name a few
- Significant performance improvements for many spatial operations, including ST_Union, ST_Intersects, ST_Contains, and ST_Within
- Vastly improved documentation and reference manual
- Improved build system, library structure, debugging framework, unit testing
- More stable support for CIRCULARSTRING, COMPOUNDCURVE and CURVEPOLYGON