After a long series of release candidates, the much anticipated 1.0.0 version of PostGIS has been released. The 1.0.0 version includes substantial changes over the original 0.X series, most importantly a new on-disk format which is both more compact and faster to access.
The 1.0.0 version is compatible with PostgreSQL 7.2 and higher, but is most tightly integrated with the PostgreSQL 8.0 and higher releases.
New features in 1.0.0 include:
- Smaller and faster on-disk formats
- Improved selectivity estimates, including support for join selectivity and sub-selects
- Hex-based canonical format, for driftless dump and restore
- 4-D geometries
- New functions:
- Geometry Constructors
- Improved JDBC interface with jdbc2 support
- 64-bit platform support
- Performance improvements for common boolean operators
Current users of PostGIS will want to read the README file on upgrading with particular attention to the use of the utils/postgis_restore.pl script.