PostGIS 2.3.0 Released
The PostGIS development team is pleased to announce the release of PostGIS 2.3.0. This is the first version to utilize the parallel support functionality introduced in PostgreSQL 9.6. As such, if you are using PostgreSQL 9.6, we strongly encourage you to use this version.
Parallel support will make many queries using PostGIS relationship operators and functions faster.
In order to take advantage of parallel query support, make sure to set
max_parallel_workers_per_gather to something greater than 0
as noted in
max_parallel_workers_per_gather PostgreSQL runtime configs
Best served with [PostgreSQL 9.6+] which is due out this week and pgRouting 2.3.0 which also just got released.
Packages from maintainers will be out in the coming days and weeks.
If you are a Mac user using newer XCode 8, you might run into some compilation issues as a result of recent changes in XCode. Refer to https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3643 for a patch you can use.
Please report bugs that you find in this release.
Important / Breaking Changes / Bug Fixes
All relevant fixes coming in PostGIS 2.2.3 are in this release
2841, ST_MinimumBoundingCircle not covering original
3466, Casting from box3d to geometry now returns a 3D geometry (Julien Rouhaud of Dalibo)
3604, pgcommon/Makefile.in orders CFLAGS incorrectly leading to wrong liblwgeom.h (Greg Troxel)
3396, ST_EstimatedExtent, now throws WARNING instead of ERROR (Regina Obe)
New Features and Performance Enhancements
- Add support for custom TOC in postgis_restore.pl (Christoph Moench-Tegeder)
- Add support for negative indexing in ST_PointN and ST_SetPoint (Rémi Cura)
- Add parameters for geography ST_Buffer (Thomas Bonfort)
- TopoGeom_addElement, TopoGeom_remElement (Sandro Santilli)
- populate_topology_layer (Sandro Santilli)
- 454, ST_WrapX and lwgeom_wrapx (Sandro Santilli)
- 1758, ST_Normalize (Sandro Santilli)
- 2236, shp2pgsql -d now emits "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS"
- 2259, ST_VoronoiPolygons and ST_VoronoiLines (Dan Baston)
- 2841 and #2996, ST_MinimumBoundingRadius and new ST_MinimumBoundingCircle implementation using Welzl's algorithm (Dan Baston)
- 2991, Enable ST_Transform to use PROJ.4 text (Mike Toews)
- 3059, Allow passing per-dimension parameters in ST_Expand (Dan Baston)
- 3339, ST_GeneratePoints (Paul Ramsey)
- 3362, ST_ClusterDBSCAN (Dan Baston)
- 3364, ST_GeometricMedian (Dan Baston)
- 3391, Add table inheritance support in ST_EstimatedExtent (Alessandro Pasotti)
- 3424, ST_MinimumClearance (Dan Baston)
- 3428, ST_Points (Dan Baston)
- 3465, ST_ClusterKMeans (Paul Ramsey)
- 3469, ST_MakeLine with MULTIPOINTs (Paul Norman)
- 3549, Support PgSQL 9.6 parallel query mode, as far as possible (Paul Ramsey, Regina Obe)
- 3557, Geometry function costs based on query stats (Paul Norman)
- 3591, Add support for BRIN indexes. PostgreSQL 9.4+ required. (Giuseppe Broccolo of 2nd Quadrant, Julien Rouhaud and Ronan Dunklau of Dalibo)
- 3496, Make postgis non-relocateable for extension install, schema qualify calls in functions (Regina Obe) Should resolve once and for all for extensions #3494, #3486, #3076
- 3547, Update tiger geocoder to support TIGER 2016 and to support both http and ftp.
- 3613, Segmentize geography using equal length segments (Hugo Mercier of Oslandia)
- 75, Enhancement to PIP short circuit (Dan Baston)
- 3383, Avoid deserializing small geometries during index operations (Dan Baston)
- 3400, Minor optimization of PIP routines (Dan Baston)
- Make adding a line to topology interruptible (Sandro Santilli)
- Documentation updates from Mike Toews
View all [closed tickets for 2.3.0]. :http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/query?status=closed&groupdesc=1&group=priority&milestone=PostGIS+2.3.0&order=priority